Cooking with Booze Recipe: Vodka Salmon Nests
Wondering what to serve your guests at your pre-party? We found a website called Cooking With Booze which focus on… well cooking with booze..
Try their pioneer recipe: Salmon nests with vodka. Yum :)
- 5 sheets phyllo pastry
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) melted butter
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp (25 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp (25 mL) vodka
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cayenne
- 1/2 lb (250 g) thin-sliced smoked salmon, coarsely chopped
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) red onion, minced
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) capers
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh dill, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Coat 4 medium-sized ramekins (175 mL) or muffin tins with cooking spray or melted butter.
- Brush each sheet of Phyllo with melted butter and stack one on top of the other. Cut phyllo layers into 4 equal squares and place each stack into a ramekin. Bake for 15 minutes or until edges are golden and pastry is crisp throughout. Remove from oven and place ramekins on rack to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, vodka, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne. Set aside. In a medium bowl, combine salmon, onion and capers. Add olive oil mixture and dill and toss well to combine.
- Remove phyllo cups from ramekins. Fill cups with salmon mixture and serve.
How to: Host a (dinner)party for your friends
A great way to stir up your way too serious study life is to host a dinner party, but there are some elements that you must not forget!
- Make sure you have enough chairs, or you will end up having to do the Chair Dance (Musical Chairs) all night long.
- Make some good food – to set the basis for step 3 (see below for recipe)
- Buy enough alcohol! No additional explanation needed!
- Have funny features – ice cubes shaped like penises or the like, glittery straws, playing cards and dices for drinking games.
- Have some good drinking games ready! We can recommend Seven-Eleven, Kings Cup, Fuck the Dealer and Pyramid.
- Make dip! Lots of dip! And buy some chips… Because, you know, drunks always get a craving for that stuff.
- Have a party playlist. Spotify won’t do, as commercials are party-poopers. If you don’t have iTunes, you can make playlists at YouTube, which works fine (funny music videos are also good for people who get bored easily). If you plan to party, we will upload a playlist tomorrow!
- Put on your best party outfit, and look good on the pictures! (it’s always a bitch to see butt-ugly pictures the morning after on Facebook - be the Barney Stinson of your group!)
- Have some markers… When somebody gets too drunk, they won’t notice their newly drawn moustache and glasses…
- Take an aspirin (or five) before going to bed.
When following these steps, you should be ready to host a great party!
Salmon Lasagna for 8-10 persons:
- 8 filets of salmon (frozen works fine)
- 500 g Spinach (frozen works fine) (you can add green peppers, pies or other green vegetables if you like)
- 1-1½ big onion
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 L mornay sauce (see here if you cannot find it in your grocery market)
- Extra muscat nut, salt and pepper for seasoning
- Cheese for topping
- Lasagna sheets
Chop salmon in small pieces. Mix spinach, chopped onion, pressed garlic in a casserole. When the onions are soft, add mornay sauce, salt and pepper. Make layers of sauce, lasagne sheets, salmon and sauce in that order. Finish with cheese. Bake in 200°C for 30-35 minutes. Serve with good bread and a salad.